My Grandma’s Things

My Grandma died in early December.  I blogged about it here.  Since Christmas my Mom and her sisters and sisters-in-law have been going through Grandma’s things and getting them ready for a family auction that will take place in a couple of months.  Things that were given to Grandma for Christmas were offered back to the people who gave them to her.  And some  of the things that my aunts thought no one would want my Mom brought to me 😉  They think I’m a little strange but I know that my blog readers will ‘get it’!

grandmas things 3

Can you believe they were going to throw away her atlas?  Thank goodness my Mom knows me well and nabbed it before it ended up filling up a landfill somewhere.

grandmas things 4

I got Grandma’s sweater too.  It has been well-worn and is missing a couple of buttons.  I remember my Grandma wearing this often.  I guess they didn’t know what to do with it – and my Mom knows I make things out of sweaters, so she brought it to me.  It still smells like my Grandma.  And I will make something out of it sometime, but for now I’m just keeping it around.  It’s special somehow.grandmas things 5Even the tag in it is cute.  Whatever I make from the sweater needs to have this tag added to it.

grandmas things 6My Grandma made her own dresses and they all had a zipper.  In her sewing things were a bunch of old zippers that had been cut out of old dresses, the fabric still attached!  Some of them are metal zippers, some are not.  I’ve been known to use old zippers as embellishments for pillows, bags, and even skirts, so my Mom tucked them in the bag with the sweater.  I am thinking that once they are all ironed out flat and neat it would be fun to sew them to a canvas bag – fabric and all.  What do you think?  Am I crazy?

grandmas things 2

My Grandma made crotchet dish cloths and always handed them out at Christmas or anytime someone stopped in.  This one is from the last of them that were still there after she died.grandmas thingsI love these dish cloths.  I love using them, especially when they are new.  But this one is tucked away for a while.  Call me silly, but I just can’t bring myself to use it yet.  I will use it, just not yet.  I’m thankful for the memories of many years with my Grandma.  And thankful that she lived a long, happy, healthy life.  And I’m thankful that she is in Heaven with Jesus where she is young again and free of this world!

Do you have mementos from a loved one that mean a lot to you?

Comments

Oh you and I are so alike! Those are my favorite dish cloths too. As for the old atlas you know I totally “get it” as I showed you Wednesday.

I pray that these lovely treasures be a comfort to you my friend.

Oh Jill I totally get it. I have things from my grandmothers and in-laws that no one else even looked at. To me they are priceless. Hope you are staying warm! Snowing here right now…

3. Kellie says

Thanks for sharing your Grandma’s treasures.

I have one of my Grandpa’s shirts and he gave me many hugs while wearing the shirt.

I’m so glad your mother saved that Atlas for you. I would have grabbed that in a second, too. BUt I’m sure you know that. How sentimental are your daughters? Would any of them like to carry that dish cloth as their hanky on their wedding day? That’s the first thing that comes to MY mind. . .
    My Matron of Honor at my wedding gave me a beautiful antique embroidered hanky to carry on my wedding day – and I lost it. I must have set it down on the table at the wedding and it must have gotten thrown away. It even had a “B” on it. . . sigh –
    Lovely post, as usual, Jill!
    -breida

I think this is one of the sweetest blogs that have been written. Amazing what we find to cherish from dear departed family and friends. I love the ideas you have to reuse them in something that will remind you of your dear grandmother for a long time to come. Glad your mom saved the zippers for you…she knows her daughter :) Cherish the memories!

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have a few things from relatives that likely folks would think are odd but they are just right for me. They have memories attached to them of the times we enjoyed together C:

It’s nice to know that you’ll be keeping some of your grandmothers things and using them in some creative way. It’s good that your family remembered your knack for reusing things and saved them for you too. Sounds like you got the sewing gene from your grandmother!

8. Becky King says

Let me blink away the tears so I can see to type this! Loved what you said about Grandma’s sweater. Just between you and me, there’s a box of similar zippers sitting there waiting for the auction! (Grandma’s dish cloths are knitted, not crocheted, if that makes any difference> :) )

:) I will have to check out all the sewing items at the sale I’m sure! Sounds fun, even if it is a little sad. and yes, I knew those were knit – my brain just wasn’t working properly!

9. Nic King says

Jill — what great items your mom saved for you! I like the canvas bad idea with the zippers. Sounds like you take after her a bit in your craftiness. I’m sure she too could sew a fine seam.

Hugs to you!

Nic

Perfect stuff for you! The tag on the sweater is neat. I wonder how old the sweater is. I like that it was made in the USA. We don’t commonly see that anymore. Very special!

What a nice post and tribute. I can’t wait to see what you do with that sweater. I am sure inspiration will strike and you’ll repurpose it into something amazing. I am glad, for now, you’ll be enjoying it as is, with the linger scent of your grandma. The zippers, it now seems that I know exactly where some of your talent has come from. Your grandma sounds like a very talented and inspiring lady.

So sweet!! That’s so special that you get to keep some of her things! I think that the zippers would look amazing on a bag-I have one made with some of my dad’s old ties :)
    Susan

Jill- How wonderful that your Mom gets it and knows that those things will be enjoyed and welcomed by you. I love that you have what was probably her favorite sweater. I think all people of that age kept their old zippers for new ones were a dear price back then. I have several from my gramma and my mother, too. I am glad they all came home to roost with you- xo Diana

Your grandma is lucky to have a granddaughter like you who will love her things and do something wonderful with them. I love that you can still smell her on the sweater. I’m anxious to see what you do with the zippers. I was thinking a pillow but I like the idea of a bag of some sort. :)

I think you inherited family heirlooms myself Jill.
    That sweater is too precious ( and a North American label – instead of made in China )
    Would make a beautiful pillow cover eventually – when you are ready.
    The things you have are a part of her.
    XOX

Your mom sure deserves the “good eye” award, for noting the items you would treasure of your grandma’s. Your idea for using those zippers is fabulous. They have such a fun look, and how meaningful to have all your grandma’s dress fabric stay attached. The whole process sounds wonderfully memory-inducing. I hope you learn much from your grandma even now as you go through her things and think about who she was, what she valued and what she meant to you. Kind of makes me wonder, what am I doing now that my kids and one day (hopefully) my grandkids will look back upon with fondness? We pass on our legacy with each day that goes by. It’s easy to forget that. Great post!
    Liz

Okay, I love this post and I feel bad that I am only just now getting over here to tell you so. I read it last week via my email subscription :o) I adore your treasure from your grandma. And I love that your family knows you well enough to grab you just the right things. I looks at your sweater and see my grandpas flannel and I just totally get it. Hugs.
    Jaime

Awww, thanks Jaime – and never feel bad about not getting over here – life is busy I know! And yes I thought of you and your Grandpa’s shirt when I got the sweater!

Hi Jill, I love this post. Love, love, love it. I can really understand and appreciate your wanting to keep those things. Your mother obviously knows you well. She did good. :) I am blessed to still have my grandmother with me, and although we are 12 hours away from each other, we keep up with phone calls, Skype, email and texting, believe it or not. We’re very close. She’ll be turning 92 this year and I find myself holding on a little tighter to the things we have between us. So I do understand. I hope they are a comfort to you and bring you joy and happiness as you remember her.

Debbie

Thank you Debbie – and that is just so sweet that your Grandma skypes and texts at age 92! Enjoy every single moment you have together whether it is in person or long distance!