Liv’s ‘New’ Living Room

Remember my Slip Cover Project? My Union Jack pillows?  My Ottoman Makeover?  I also slip covered a couch for the same client/friend.  Would you like to see the couch?  And my friend, Olivia’s ‘new living room?  You WOULD?!!  Oh good, I was hoping so cause I really want to show it off :)

Here is the couch before.  And there is one of the pillows that also got a makeover.  And this photo is totally unedited.  I got tired of editing after the pretty ‘after’ shots and just left this one alone.  You will want to hurry past it anyway to get to the good stuff!

This is the after!  With the pillows and ottoman all finished too.  Isn’t that so much more fun to look at?  Now lets look at the bigger picture…

Couch covered, chair covered, pillows covered, ottoman covered.  Viola!  New Living Room!

I was so tempted to keep that ottoman!  I must make another sometime.  Anyone need an ottoman makeover?

So what do you think?  Was it as fun to see as it was for me to show it to you?  The chair, she brought it to me.  The couch, I went to it!  I spent about 6 hours at her house one Wednesday making the main slipcover.  Then I brougth the pillows, ottoman and couch cushions covers home with me and made them here.  The couch cushion covers I mailed to her as soon as I had them finished so she didn’t have to live with a two-tone couch any longer than necessary.  The pillows and ottoman I delivered later.  I also spent some time doing a little redo on one end of the couch.  The ends of the couch had worn differently and since it has poufy arms I needed to add a little more fabric at one end, under the cushions, for ease.  Not a big deal, easy to fix, and out of sight when cushions are in place :)

So if you have a couch or chair or ottoman or love seat or any piece of furniture that you don’t love the look of but can’t afford to replace, consider a custom made slip cover.  If you want to make your own got to Miss Mustard Seed’s blog and watch her video tutorials on slip covering.  You CAN make a slip cover if you are on speaking terms with your sewing machine!

Back to the Union Jack pillows – I got a lot of complements on those.  Later on today a blog friend of mine is doing a giveaway for one of these pillow covers!  So you will want to check that out and enter if you like red and the union jack!  I will post about it in a whole new post so watch for it!!!!

Linking up!

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbiahttp://salttree.net/Totally Transformed

The NY Melrose Family

The DIY DreamerHubby Made MeFurniture Feature FridaysChic on a Shoestring DecoratingPhotobucketFreedom FridaysOneCreativeMommy.com freckled laundry

Comments

Oh my gosh, girl! What a beautiful makeover!! The colors are so pretty. And that ottoman is just gorgeous. I’m heading over to check it out now :)

I have dreams about a slip covered sofa, I’ve check out the tutes and there is no way in my lifetime this is going to happen with my sewing skills. If I measure my sofa and send you the details……..haha. Love it all!

:) Sarah, a couch is a bigger deal – I’d recommend starting with a chair first! I wish I could make these just from measurements but, alas, I’m just not that good at it – I have to have the piece of furniture on site!

3. Jessica says

VERY cute… that living room has SAFS written allll over it! Does Liv know that if she leaves the room, she may return to find you’ve painted her coffee table white?

:) She’s lucky she doesn’t live just around the corner huh?! Actually she does have some paint makeovers in the works too! Not sure about the coffee table but you know what I’d recommend :)

What a dramatic change! Out with the old brown and in with the new white- all gussied up with those great pillows. Your pal’s room looks great, Jill! Have you given some thought to coming down for that paint workshop? Let me know. :-) Sue

5. Becky King says

After seeing the work in progress( and loving it!) I’m so glad to see the finished project now. It looks GREAT!!!!!!

Wow. That was a beautiful transformation. It’s so much brighter, cleaner and it makes the room look so much bigger. I am sure she is loving her new living room. What a great job.

Thank you Amy! it made such a difference! She has more plans in the works too – I hope she will share some pics with me once she has her floors refinished and some more painting done!

oh my lord have mercy. that ottoman is awesome. everything looks so great!
    i added my follow by email button back…must have gotten lost when i changed the blog design around! happy monday to you!

Thanks Ali! and thanks for putting the email subscription back on – I just signed up! My email subscription just went all wonky on me and I had to completely redo it and all I had done was move the widget. You never know!

Thanks Pam! She was very happy:) She plans to start some painting and floor refinishing projects this fall and I would love to photograph it again when she has that finished!

so adorable!!! (I really resisted writing ‘sew’…wait. I just did. oh well.) Love those pillows, and especially the pouf. I’d love two of those for my living room :) Do you know what the base was for it? Saw you at Make It Pretty Monday. Can’t wait to see what else you have for us. Nice to meet you!

heehee! SEW nice of you to leave such a sweet comment :) The pouf was just an old ottoman that my friend found on ebay! Search your local thrift shops and second hands stores – then make a couple ruffled slipcovers!! Thanks for commenting – I just check out your blog and it is just beautiful!

I love it all but I’m trying to figure out what you did to make that ottoman so cute! I don’t know that my sewing machine and I ARE on speaking terms now that you mention it. I have finally worked out my relationship with my drill, but you know, it’s hard to be BFF’s with ALL the tools of ALL the trades ALL the time. That’s where sewing wonders like you come into the picture. I think I need a sewing counselor like you here to mediate between me and my machine so I can make wonderful things like this too! :)
    Liz

The ruffles are serged on both sides with red thread first, then ruffled up with my ruffler that attaches to my machine. Then I just sewed it on – around and around and around!!! I am not on good terms with other tools because my hubby thinks they are only HIS tools and HE will do that kind of stuff for me! His time frame and mine don’t always coincide though!

Gorgeous makeover! I am so impressed… I’m not sure I could ever have the skills and patience required to make a slipcover, although I do love the results. Maybe one day! I love the pillows too.

You did a really beautiful job. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I’ve Been Featured button. Thanks.

This is just so adorable, and I cannot believe that ugly couch is hiding underneath that fabulous slip cover. I need that Ottoman!!!! Any chance you might be sharing a tutorial on it in the near future?????? If you do, I would love to feature it on Redoux, it is just so fun! I am featuring all of this cuteness tomorrow, thank you for sharing!

Aw Karen, that is so sweet of you! It is amazing what a slip cover can do isn’t it! i do plan to make another cover similar to this one and I can do a tutorial when I do that! Got to find another round ottoman at a thrift store!

It looks fabulous! Your did a great job and the transformation is amazing! That ottoman falls into the “too cute!” catagory! Love it! Would love for you to link to Potpourri Friday!

Thank you Honey! I love that ottoman too – must make another one! I linked up over on your blog – thanks for inviting me over – always fun to meet new blogging friends!

omg love! now i have to check out your etsy shop and find out where you are located. i can’t sew and always need that service!

looks fabulous. found you via MMS’s party where i’m partying too. would love to have you as a follower.

smiles and happy weekend.

michele

Thanks Michelle! I would love to sew for you – I’m in Ohio but shipping always works if you are not in my area! I checked out your blog and I followed you back! Love what you have going on in that living room!

I am so very impressed! You did a wonderful job on each and every project in this room. I’m sure your friend is so pleased! I adore that ottoman! I went back and took a look at your other ottoman posts as well. Thanks for sharing all the info. I love this look and am putting this one on my hope-to-do-soon list! Visiting from 2805.

Congratulations on your MMS feature! I’m popping over from her site and love your slipcovered couch, pillows and that frilly poof. I can only make pillows so this is so inspiring :)

hi there…..oh to be able to sew like you do! so beautiful! love the feature on 2805! that is how i found you and i will be following! such inspiration…..what a couch before and after and the pillows love love love them! hugs kat =^.^=

Good for you Jan! I know they will turn out beautifully – they are really simple to make! Drop cloths for the base and torn strips of fabric and ribbon for the ‘jack’!!